Please read through our six-step adoption process.
1) Fill out our online adoption application.
If you would prefer to download and print an application,
click here. (Note: the application will open as a Microsoft Word doc.) Downloaded applications can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or printed and brought to one of our adoption events.
2) An adoption counselor will call or email you within 48 hours (not including weekends) to confirm receipt of your application.
If you would like to check the status of your application after 24 hours, you can call your adoption coordinator or email email@example.com.
3) The adoption counselor will call your landlord/condo association and/or veterinarian (if applicable.)
4) An adoption counselor will schedule a time for you, your family and any other pets to meet the pet(s) you've applied for. We encourage you to view our event calendar for upcoming events where you can meet the pet you are interested in. You must come out and meet the pet in person before a home visit will be set up.
5) A home visit is also necessary. If possible, the entire household should be present for the visit.
6) To make the adoption official, a signed adoption contract and the adoption fee will be collected before the animal is placed in your home. If an animal has not yet been spayed or neutered, there is an additional $50 spay/neuter deposit. At the time of adoption, adopters should have a collar, leash and pet ID tag. The adoption fee and spay/neuter deposit are payable by cash or check only.
All previous medical records and adoption policies will be turned over to the new adopter.
NOTE: For cats and kittens housed at PetSmart in Skokie:
It is our policy that we don't do home visit, but there will still be a vet and/or landlord reference check. Cats and kittens at PetSmart are usually adopted within a few days. To submit an application or check on the status of your application, please contact the store at 847-674-4654.